Wednesday, November 18, 2009

8. Tough Guise

Today we watched "Tough Guise" and to be honest I wasn't expecting a film like this. Usually we watch boring films in class (I know that I am generalizing but I am doing this to exaggerate :)). However "Tough Guise" was very interesting, funny in some ways and heartbreaking.

"Tough Guise" was very interesting because I never realize the change the size of the toys. Maybe because I wasn't a kid in 1970s but I felt sorry about it. I should have realized it before somebody mentions it. He was right!! As the girls become smaller, boys become bigger and bigger and bigger!! UNBELİVEABLE. We as the girls; go on diet, sacrifice, eat less and spend hours in the gym to look smaller. Why are we doing this? Because an anonymous power* force us to do this. But why actually we are doing this? Don't we have brain? Does the shape of our body controls everything? Why do we care about how does a skinny jean looks like when we wear it? I could pretend that well I don't care about it, I can eat what I want, I don't need to spend my hours in the gym but this is not case, unfortunately. Sometimes even I am thinking how do I look like. This was the case of a girl but how about the boys? It seems like the boys don't care about their physical appearance but I think this is not true. Especially in high school and in college they do care about their physical appearance. When you go to fitness center in SU you could see more boys than girls.

"Tough Guise" was funny because the music video where black boys act like a Italian gangster and then white boys act like them and it looks very funny. Well the concept at the beginning is very funny. Why do we have classifications like Italian gangster, black boys and white boys. There are all people and these properties shouldn't make them different from each other. Anyways the video was very funny.

"Tough Guise" was heartbreaking. I slept at 4.00 am yesterday and I was planning to sleep after the lessons but when I got back to dorm I couldn't sleep because I felt sorry. The statistics made me very sad. I could guess that men are more dangerous but the statistics shocked me.


*I don't know who imposes us the men are stronger than women but I don't think it is only the media so I will think and read about this issue more and write another post. Wait for it! (I felt like 6 billion people are reading my blog :))

5 comments:

  1. ı watched the film today because i didn't join the class that film day. i felt sorry too because of the statistics and it is very sad to being in a society that is under the control of media. I think that the media system struck violent masculanity..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough guise also surprised me.. The statictics and the points they mentioned were really interesting. The black Godfather was additioonally funny :D

    And about the "anonymous power". I think it is our moral values and they are changing so often and drastically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 billion people may read your blog someday, who knows... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cemrenaz,
    After the holiday I start to think different I cannot be sure if the media is the only thing that struck the violent masculinity there must be other forces behind media. I think we should read more and more about this topic.

    Can,
    I don't agree with that, our values shouldn't change so often (this is only my opinion) because for me the "value" thing is not that easy. If something become my "value" then it shouldn't be changing often. But for most people unfortunately you are right.

    Sonja,
    Maybe one day I can.... :) who knows... dream just dream...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ı hope 6 mıllıon people read ıt =)

    ısnt that the fılm makes appear the things we cannot see durıng the lıfe and isnt it scary?

    ReplyDelete