Monday, February 22, 2010

2. Please tell me why Elaine?

Why did you run away with Benjamin Elaine? Why? Why?

Thanks to digitürk, I have watched "The Graduate" for several times but it was the first time that I watched it as a whole.
No need to mention that this movie covers several different topics from several different aspects.

I would like to start from the thing that made me think about a lot, I just can't understand why Elaine left with Benjamin. Everybody knows that he is wrong, she knows this, but still she left with him. I don't know he had an affair with her mother and this didn't stop her. I just can't understand. What kind of love is this? They say, love is blind and sometimes I believe this but in Elaine's situation, it is unbelievable.

About the phony adults vs real adolescents I believe it is very hard to draw a straight line between them because everybody is different and everybody changes. There might be phony adults and there might be phony adolescents. For example, the man Elaine was going marry was a phony adolescent. Moreover by having an affair with Mrs. Robinson doesn't make Benjamin's world more real. I believe there are some other things that will make their life more real. It wasn't even love..

About the generational conflict, I know it is a cliche but we have it all the time and now it seems very normal to me. Yesterday my mom told me that only I am going to be responsible for the mistakes that I did when I am young. The things she calls mistakes makes me smile but I try not to rebel, I try to understand her. I wish Benjamin and Elaine had a different story but unfortunately it is not possible.

I guess I will continue after today's class discussion..

5 comments:

  1. haheehehhee....I love this post.

    Yes, WHY Elaine? Well, I think she's rebelling, it's that simple. She is scared of being sucked into her parents' empty life. And she likes the fact that someone came after her, rather than everything having been neatly arranged in advance. They are definitely not in love...remember how the smiles on their faces quickly fade in that final scene on the bus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elif, I have asked the same question as you :)

    After Sonja's explanation, I am stil not convinced :D It doesn't matter how much she wants to rebel, it is not possible at all that she goes with somebody who has upset and made her sad, I think. I mean who would do that?

    At least, I wouldn't do that, would I?:D I am not sure though.. :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonja,
    I knew it! I knew it! They don't love each other, love is something different. Benjamin went after Elaine because of some other reasons that I could not be sure of but I was sure that he doesn't love Elaine and also Elaine doesn't love Benjamin. Love is something different and it is very sad that everyone name lots of silly thing 'love'. It is so sad that Elaine just couldn't fly away with her own wings rather than hiding after Benjamin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can,
    This could be too wide but I guess anything can happen.
    You would fall for someone who makes you cry and suffer. You would go after someone who changes and you are willing to change. At those times you don't think, you just do it. Although regret comes after, you have the courage to do anything because your heart said so.

    I know that I have became a romantic, but it is almost over. I will be back soon.

    Best wishes,
    the bleeding lover..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I think that is one of the criticisms in the film - that ultimately, Benjamin and Elaine fall back on their parents' values, that their 'rebellion' is temporary and not at all long-lasting.

    And Elif, your characterisation of love is so true. It's not romantic, it's just the way it is. We can't help ourselves. And although it hurts at the time, hurts worse than anything, growth comes later. If there is someone who can not realise your worth, it's their loss! Really! You are the one in the right, for having the big heart and the courage to risk exposure in the first place.

    We will be waiting for you...

    ReplyDelete