Tuesday, October 13, 2009

1. About the road watchers

Last week Sonja told us about the road watchers, the guys who sit beside the road and watch the road regularly. Maybe it is because I am a little optimist but I always thought that those guys are waiting for a service bus to come and take those people to work. 

However Sonja told us that this is not the case. During the lesson I confessed that when I was 5 or 6 years old, I used watch the road, the people passing by and everything that you can see through window. Maybe some of you don't understand what is the point of watching the street but I don't know how to explain this to you. 

When I go back to my dorm after the last lesson I remembered something else that could be shocking for Sonja. My high school was also in Kurtköy and 5 years ago I was a prep student who was new in the school and also in the city. Everyday we had at least 4 lessons English and after a while it was getting a little hard to be concentrated. 

After 1 month I found myself counting the trucks. Sometimes 100 trucks passed by the road sometimes only 50. It depends on the day. Thursdays and Fridays were always the busiest days. I don't know why I was counting those trucks...

So the concept of 'road watchers' is familiar and normal for me. 

3 comments:

  1. hahhaaaa, this is interesting indeed, Elif!
    Recently I have heard two people come up with the same explanation for "road watchers": often they sit on the only green space in the area! This made me feel sorry, because a) we are destroying the green spaces on our planet and b) poor areas tend to have fewer green spaces than richer ones. Sometimes I see people up in the trees by the side of the motorway having a small picnic. I guess this makes sense if there is no park around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe it is not because there is no park around, they just love to have picnic while they are watching the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) yes, I guess it's somehow a form of entertainment...considering the driving in this country, I suppose there's always something to watch!

    ReplyDelete